Monday, September 5, 2016

Emergency Room--By Lois Greene Stone--United States

Emergency Room

My fingers circled smooth
transparent plastic that
cradled my nostrils.  Could
I sneeze?  Would clips come
out?  Every twenty minutes
my arm was grabbed by
an inflatable cuff.  Pump,
pump, pump.  Whish.
Blood pressure.  Noise.
Hallway sounds of
wheeled trays on tile
floors. Clank.  Not
a trolley’s sound.
I liked trolleys. 
“How are we feeling”
asks an attendant.
Can I say: scared

(Previously published Summer/Fall 2013, SNReview

Lois Greene Stone, writer and poet, has been syndicated worldwide. Poetry and personal essays have been included in hard & softcover book anthologies. Collections of her personal items/ photos/ memorabilia are in major museums including twelve different divisions of The Smithsonian.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see your work here Lois, I enjoyed reading your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You vividly capture the sounds and feel of an ER, Lois. Scared, indeed! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Your poem definitely captures the feel of a hospital emergency room with artistic beauty. Thank you for sharing, Lois. I enjoyed your poem. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete